On September 5, 1956 Nativity School opened it’s doors for grades Kindergarten through 6th. The first class graduated from Nativity School on June 21, 1959.
Significant events for our parish and school:
Land is acquired by the Diocese of Buffalo at Harris Hill Road and Main Street.
Bishop Burke appoints Rev. Phillip Schwier as the first Pastor of the newly formed Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary parish.
On June 6, the first Mass is celebrated in a large tent borrowed from the United German and French Roman Catholic Cemetery.
On May 21, groundbreaking takes place for the combined church and school (the current school building).
On December 4, the first Mass is held in the new church in what is now Schwier Hall.
On September 5, Nativity School opens its doors for grades K through 6.
On June 21, the first class graduates from Nativity School.
A new wing is added to the school.
On May 17, groundbreaking takes place for the new church.
On November 14, the first Mass is celebrated in the new church.
On December 11, the rectory is completed.
On April 19, Fr. Schwier passes away.
Fr. Magner retires.
In August, Msgr. Raymond Paa is appointed as the new Pastor of Nativity by Bishop Head.
The parish commences the “Immediate Action Drive”.
The mortgages on all parish buildings are burned!
The RENEW faith enrichment program begins.
Msgr. Paa receives the Cure’ of Ars Award.
An $800,000 capital campaign to refurbish the church and school begins.
The newly renovated church reopens for the Easter Sunday Masses.
On October 31, Msgr. Paa retires after 20 years of service as pastor. He remains at Nativity as Pastor Emeritus.
Msgr. Frederick D. Leising is appointed as Pastor of Nativity by Bishop Edward Mansell.
The Wedgewood Room is rededicated as the “Monsignor Paa Social Center”.
On February 21, Msgr. Raymond Paa passes away.
In October, Msgr. Frederick Leising receives the Cure' of Ars Award.
Want to stay up to date on the latest school news and events?
Subscribe to the Cougar Newsletter.